1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2021 9:33 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Were US Army troops stationed in Greenland during WW2?

    George Ganak Newbie

      My dad said he was stationed in Greenland during WWII, but so far can’t find any thing in his records about this.

        • Re: Were US Army troops stationed in Greenland during WW2?
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Ganak,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 7 series related to the Greenland Base Command during World War II in various record groups that may contain some helpful information. We also located the series Unit Histories, 1943-1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) and the series the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of your father’s unit during World War II. These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about these and similar records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov. Please include as much information as possible in your inquiry, such as full name, unit number, and date(s) of interest.


          If you have not done so already, we also suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, we also located numerous resources related to Greenland and World War II, including the document Greenland: Arctic Outpost, on the website of the US Army Center of Military History. We suggest that you contact them or the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center directly for further assistance. 


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!