2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2021 11:55 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Looking to see if my grandpa was in Fort Polk, Louisiana in 1961-1964

    Amber Jack Newbie

      Hello. I’ve been looking for information on my step grandpa Kent Leslie Martin DOB, 7/3/1943. He was in the army. I’m trying to see if he was at Fort Polk, Louisiana anytime between 1961-1964. If you could please help me with that or if you have any photos that would be greatly appreciated.

        • Re: Looking to see if my grandpa was in Fort Polk, Louisiana in 1961-1964
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some additional information not sure if he was at Fort Polk, La you would need to have your mother or father file a request based on the next of kin. However, NPRC is only working on "Emergency Requests" pertaining to medical, burials, loans.


          Here is where he is buried.https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/36080502/kent-l-martin


          Name:Kent L Martin
          Death Age:39
          Birth Date:3 Jul 1943
          Service Start Date:23 Oct 1961
          Service End Date:20 Mar 1967
          Death Date:21 Jan 1983
          Interment Date:28 Jan 1983
          Interment Place:Colorado, USA
          Cemetery Address:4400 West Kenyon Avenue Denver, Co 80236
          Cemetery:Ft. Logan National Cemetery
          Plot:Section S Site 6683
          Notes:Ssg Us Army Vietnam



          Name:Kent L Martin
          Birth Date:3 Jul 1943
          Death Date:21 Jan 1983
          Enlistment Branch:ARMY
          Enlistment Date:23 Oct 1961
          Discharge Date:21 Jun 1964
          Enlistment Date 1:22 Jun 1964
          Discharge Date 1:20 Mar 1967
          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Looking to see if my grandpa was in Fort Polk, Louisiana in 1961-1964
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Jack,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of Mr. Martin’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Please note that the "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


            Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). If you know which unit he served in, you may wish to contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov to request further assistance. Please include as much information as possible in your inquiry, such as full name, dates of service or interest, unit number, and so forth.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!