1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2021 10:24 AM by Lisha Penn

    Searching for any records, pictures, birth certificate of my father who died in 2009

    Kimber Douglas Newbie

      Hi!! I'm new at this so bear with me. Anyway, the reason I'm here is because I have tried to find information about my father with no luck!! I know he was in the military or the air force. I don't know... My father passed away in 2009. The only thing I have of him is his name, date of birth, date of death and social security number. I'm doing a research on my father's family but have not been able to find anything about my father. It's getting frustrating. Please help! I want to know who my father was as a boy, what he did in the air force, who his parents were, etc. etc... it is the only thing that will finally bring closure for me. thank you



        • Re: Searching for any records, pictures, birth certificate of my father who died in 2009
          Lisha Penn Ranger

          Dear Ms. Douglas,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his/her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who  separated from the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 and before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We suggest that you review NARA’s Resources for Genealogists, as well as the History Hub Blog titled Suggestions and Advice for Family History Researchers. Also, the FamilySearch Research wiki for United States Genealogy may be useful.


          We suggest that you contact the State Archives or Health Department of State to request a search for his birth and marriage or death certificates. You may wish to note any name variants or broaden your search for the surrounding years. In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for How to Find United States Vital Records may be helpful.


          You may also wish to contact your relatives and others to obtain pictures of your father that they may have in their possession.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!