2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2021 1:37 PM by Lisha Penn Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking military records of James Sterry

    Luke Sowieralski Adventurer

      Hello, I'm looking for a guy who may have been in US Army during WW1. James Herbert Sterry was born in 1871 in England and died in1943 in Maryland.

        • Re: Seeking military records of James Sterry
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Found this article on James H. Sterry which I believe is his son.





          • Re: Seeking military records of James Sterry
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Mr. Sowieralski,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 6/16/1897 - 7/3/1957 (T715) in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) that may include the lists of SS Baltic for August 3, 1907. Some of these records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog. For information about the non-digitized records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.


            We also located the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and  the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about James Hebert Sterry, his wife Florence and children in Frostburg, MD. The 1940 Census schedules are digitized and available using the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized schedules, please RDT1. 


            For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census BureBau technical documentation and questionnaires as well as NARA’s page on Census Records.


            You may wish to search Ancestry or FamilySearch for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


            If he served in WW1, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We suggest that you contact the Maryland State Archives to obtain a copy of death certificates for James Herbert Sterry.  You also may wish to review the FamilySearch Research wiki for Maryland Vital Records and the History Hub blog Suggestions and Advice for Family History Researchers may be of use.


            Lastly, we further suggest that you contact The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom to obtain information about James Herbert Sterry’s life in England before he emigrated to the United States.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful