2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2021 11:05 AM by Guy G Hopkins

    Looking for any & all military records of my father

    Guy G Hopkins Newbie

      I used to have medals, paratrooper wings, sharpshooter, and a few more pertaining to my father who served during WW2. Now all I have are pictures, and meal tickets, and vouchers for sugar etc. I think I have a chit for leave as well. I need to build a memorial to my father. I enlisted for Vietnam in 1974 to honor my Dad and close buddies that never came home. Dad would not allow me to join till I was 18 because he loved me...I graduated at 17 and had to wait still...I just want direction as to where I look please, thank you.

        • Re: Looking for any & all military records of my father
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Hopkins,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          For former Armed Forces personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website or use the same GSA Standard Form 180 as above and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!