2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2021 11:19 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military records of John Griswold & 39th Infantry

    Candi Hollifield Newbie

      Seeking OMPF for a fallen US Soldier in WW2. I am in process of honoring/documenting the life of Pfc. John D Griswold of Company A, 39th Infantry  of the United States Army from North Carolina. He was killed in action on 8/01/1943. I'm searching for unit details/movement on the day he was killed and morning reports from his unit. I've been told he fought with the 9th (but not sure how to find out for certain). I am looking for his purple heart awarding, pictures & videos of him or his unit. Also, I've searched for a long time for a copy if the letter informing his family of his death.

        • Re: Seeking military records of John Griswold & 39th Infantry
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information.



          I would suggest requesting his IDPFs Individual Deceased Personnel File



          The information you seek may be contained in his burial case file (also called the Individual Deceased Personnel File or IDPF). IDPFs for WWII-1976 for service members with surnames beginning with A - L., please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          As of now, RL-SL has not received the IDPFs of service members with surnames beginning with M - Z. In order to request these records, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.




          Larger memorial image loading...


          Larger memorial image loading...





          Name:John D Griswold
          Race:White/Mexican (White)
          Rank:Enlisted Man
          Admission Age:20
          Birth Date:abt 1923
          Birth Place:USA
          Admission Date:Aug 1943
          Admission Place:Sicily
          Discharge Date:Aug 1943
          Military Branch:Infantry (or possibly Quartermaster)
          Diagnosis:Diagnosis: Wound, penetrating; Location: Back; CausativeAgent: Bullet (other) (code possibly also means bullet, shotgun)
          Injured in Line of Duty:In line of duty (Battle Casualty)
          Service Number:34430209




          Name:John D Griswold
          Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
          Birth Year:1920
          Residence:Rutherford, North Carolina
          Education:2 years of high school
          Civil Occupation:Semiskilled occupations in manufacture of textiles, n.e.c.
          Enlistment Date:4 Sep 1942
          Enlistment Place:Camp Croft, South Carolina
          Service Number:34430209
          Branch:Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
          Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          Source:Civil Life
          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of John Griswold & 39th Infantry
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Hollifield,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 39th Infantry Regiment and the 9th Infantry Division during WWII. The 39th was attached to the 9th Infantry Division. We also located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes unit histories and general orders for the 39th Infantry Regiment during the 1940s. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of Company A. Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the regiment.


            The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We suggest that you search the US Army Center of Military History for any additional information and/or resources about the 39th Infantry Regiment and the 9th Infantry Division.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!