2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2021 4:16 AM by Paul Williams

    Seeking records of Michael Rutigliano & 1313th Air Police

    Paul Williams Newbie

      Seeking guidance/information on search. On and off over the last few years I, like many others, have been piecing together a family tree. In recent years thanks to the burgeoning availability of on-line databases I’ve made great progress. The only problem I now have is my father’s side of the family. He was in the USAF in 1957 and based at Burtonwood (aka Base Air Depot 1 - BAD 1) near Warrington in England. His name is Michael Rutigliano and I believe his was in the Air Police (possibly the 1313th). Around 20 yrs ago, I initially tried to find out more about him from The National Personnel Records Center in St Louis only to discover that his records were one of those lost in the fire of 1973. This curtailed my search for further sources of information about him. Now that I have retired I find myself with the time and focus to start the search again. I would be very grateful if someone could give me some insight and pointers on how to proceed with this search, in particular perhaps alternative approaches/databases/contacts that could assist. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking records of Michael Rutigliano & 1313th Air Police
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Williams,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series General Correspondence, 1951-1965 in the Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations (Record Group 342) includes information about Air Force units and bases in the United Kingdom in the 1950s that may be of interest to you. We also located the series Program Files, 1956-1958 in the Records of Headquarters U.S. Air Force (Air Staff) (Record Group 341) that includes the file TNG 1 United Kingdom, 1957. Please note that these records generally do not include information about individual airmen, but they may provide some historical context for your father’s service. These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about these and similar records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          You may wish to request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) again. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force who were separated from the service after 1946 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, unit histories and supporting documents of many Air Force units are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424. These files often include historical reports. Please call (334) 953-5697 or write to that office for further information concerning these records.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!