5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2021 7:44 PM by Karen A Coles

    Seeking Paul Vernon Coles' Army service number

    Karen A Coles Wayfarer

      I am seeking my father's Army service number.  His name was Paul Vernon Coles, DOB:  8/28/30.  He was enlisted and served in the Korean War.  Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking Paul Vernon Coles' Army service number
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information below.


          Name:Paul V Coles
          Birth Date:30 Aug 1928
          Death Date:28 Oct 2003
          Enlistment Branch:ARMY
          Enlistment Date:11 Jul 1946
          Discharge Date:16 Jan 1947
          Enlistment Branch 1:ARMY
          Enlistment Date 1:7 Feb 1951
          Discharge Date 1:8 Nov 1952
          • Re: Seeking Paul Vernon Coles' Army service number
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Coles,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). His service number should be listed on the files. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            • Re: Seeking Paul Vernon Coles' Army service number
              Grace Yuhasz Adventurer

              After doing a quick search on Ancestry.com, I saw a range of birth years for Paul Vernon/Paul V Coles: from 1927 to 1930.  The birthdays seem to range within the last few days of August.


              Ancestry.com has a record set called U.S., World War II Hospital Admission Card Files, 1942-1954.  See if this is the correct man.



              Paul V Cole




              Caucasian, includes Mexican (White)

              Admission Age:


              Birth Date:

              abt 1931

              Admission Date:

              Mar 1951

              Discharge Date:

              May 1951

              Discharge Place:

              Osaka Army Hospital (Japan)

              Military Branch:

              Corps of Engineers, Combat

              Military Unit:

              Battalion: Engineer


              Diagnosis: Fracture, compound, comminuted, with no nerve or artery involvement; Location: Metacarpal bones & Phalanges: Fourth metacarpal bone; CausativeAgent: Explosive projectile shells from gun, mortar, etc: Explosive projectile shells, unspecified, struck while on land

              Medical Treatment:

              Operation: Closed reduction of fracture without traction; SpecializedTreatment: Specialized Treatment required to be reported but was not reported

              Type of Discharge:

              Duty for general service

              Length of service:

              3-5 yrs. (3 or more but less than 5)

              Service Number:



              Not evacuated to US: Not former prisoner of enemy

              Source Citation

              National Archives and Records Administration; Hospital Admission Card Files, ca. 1970 - ca. 1970; NAI: 570973; Record Group Number: Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army), 1775-1994; Record Group Title: 112