4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2021 10:09 AM by Josette Schluter

    Seeking naturalization papers for Louis Ricalzone

    Thomas Webb Newbie

      Hi, I'm hoping to find whatever I can about the naturalization of my great-grandfather. I found a few census records that suggest it was between 1910 and 1930, but I don't have any of the naturalization papers or Letter of Intent.

      • Louis Ricalzone
      • Born in 1884 (or around there), born in Italy
      • First arrived in the US in 1906
      • Likely filed for his naturalization sometime in the 1920's
      • Lived in San Jose, Santa Clara County, California
      • Married Virginia Casalegno, had two children, Lauro and Margaret, all prior to 1930


      Thank you for your help!

        • Re: Seeking naturalization papers for Louis Ricalzone
          Josette Schluter Scout

          Dear Mr. Webb,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Beginning on September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts. If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located. Records for San Jose, California would be in the custody of the National  Archives at San Francisco. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at San Francisco (RW-SB) at sanbruno.archives@nara.gov.  No central index exists. To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, researchers should include: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RW-SB. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          While the Federal Courts were given responsibility for naturalization proceedings, it took time for the lower courts to let go of the practice, so you may need to look at lower courts if the National Archives does not maintain a record of naturalization from the early-mid 20th century. We recommend that you contact the California State Archives.


          The records you seek may be available in digital form and may be viewed online via Ancestry. There may be a fee for using this service. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


          In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).


          All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created from September 27, 1906 through March 31, 1956 within Certificate Files (C-Files). Beginning on April 1, 1956, INS began filing all naturalization records in a subject’s Alien File (A-File). C-Files and certain A-Files may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!