1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2021 2:24 PM by Rachael Salyer Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Where can I find the actual date of death for WWII casualties?

    Guohui Jiang Adventurer

      Hello everyone, Thanks for your reply! This information is very useful. The WW2 casualty list in the National Archives (https://www.archives.gov/files/research/military/ww2/casualty-lists.pdf)  does not tell the exact date of death. I am wondering how I should proceed if I want to know the death date for every hero in the list. Thanks a lot in advance!


      P.S. I am doing it for research use, so I need a systematic way to find the death date.

        • Re: Where can I find the actual date of death for WWII casualties?
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Guohui Jiang,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you are interested in a particular military unit or engagement, there may be information about casualties included in series like the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407). You may contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for assistance with these non-digitized records. Please include as much information in your inquiry as possible, such as specific unit numbers and dates.


          Next, we located the series Applications for Headstones, 1/1/1925-6/30/1970 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that typically include dates of death. Please note that these records are arranged in chronological blocks and then alphabetically by last name, so you would need to request records by individual names. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stlouis.archives@nara.gov for more information about these records.


          As Mr. Atkinson noted in his response to your previous question, you may wish to request Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for individual servicemen.


          The information you seek may be contained in Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPFs). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for U.S. Army personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.


          Please note that many of these records, including OMPFs and IDPFs, consist of files for individual servicemen and must be requested by name; therefore, bulk requests may not be possible.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, we suggest that you contact The National WWII Museum, the US Army Center of Military History, and the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center for further assistance.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!