1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2021 2:07 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Can I verify my husband social security number from his DD214

    Dawn Wyatt Newbie

      My husband served in the Army from April, 1968 to March, 1970.  I have a copy of DD 214 form.  I’m trying to get pre-qualified for home loan but the VA is telling me the social security I have is incorrect.  How do I go about this to get it fixed correctly?  I have his social security card, I collect VA Disabilities and my husband’s pension on the social security number I have for him.   WHERE DO I GO FOR HELP WITH THIS SITUATION?  You must have his correct social somewhere since I got a copy of his DD 214 form

        • Re: Can I verify my husband social security number from his DD214
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Wyatt,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, you may wish to request a copy of your husband’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the series Numerical Identification Files (NUMIDENT), 1936-2007 in the Records of the Social Security Administration (Record Group 47) that may contain some helpful information for you. More information about the Numerical Identification Files (NUMIDENT) can be found in the National Archives Catalog.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration does not have the authority to make changes to personnel records. Changes can only be made by the Department of Defense. To correct a military personnel record, please use a DD Form 149 (Application for Correction of Military Record). If you have additional questions about the form or the process, please write directly to the Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA), 251 18th Street South, Suite 385, Arlington, VA 22202-3531, which has jurisdiction in such matters. For assistance, please email army.arbainquiry@mail.mil.


          Finally, we suggest that you Contact Social Security or review the FAQ Home · Customer Self-Service available on The United States Social Security Administration’s website to see if they can offer you any further assistance.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!