1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2021 10:59 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Where are records of criminal convictions in New York State?

    Patricia Chesbro Newbie

      Where can I find records of criminal convictions in New York State in the late 1800s?

        • Re: Where are records of criminal convictions in New York State?
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Chesbro,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 41 series related to criminal court cases in New York in the late 1800s in the Records of District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21) and in the Records of U.S. Attorneys (Record Group 118) that may be of interest to you. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) at newyork.archives@nara.gov for access to and information about these and similar records.


          We also located the series Record of Examination of Prisons, 2/18/1879-5/16/1881 in the General Records of the Department of Justice (Record Group 60) that contains information about several prisons in New York during the late 19th century. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov with questions about these non-digitized records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-NY and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, the New York State Archives has information on their website about Prisons & Inmates and Court Records in the state of New York. You may wish to contact them directly to see if they can offer you any additional assistance.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful