1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 2:15 PM by Research Services at the National Archives

    Where can I look up & verify military service for Marines / air force / navy

    JACK BETZ Wayfarer

      I have located Army records in NARA for WW II ONLY, but can't find records for NAVY / MARINES / AIR FORCE / ARMY for WWII & WW I. I am researching to verify service only & do not need all records

        • Re: Where can I look up & verify military service for Marines / air force / navy
          Research Services at the National Archives Tracker

          Dear Mr. Betz,


          Thank you for sharing your question with the History Hub.


          If you are looking for information about requesting veterans' service records in order to verify service, then the following website might be helpful for you:

          Request Your Military Service Records Online, by Mail, or by Fax | National Archives


          If you are looking for the locations of service records, we recommend that you review this site, which includes charts of record locations broken down by military branch. And this website (Veterans' FAQ | National Archives) and this article from Prologue Magazine (20th-Century Veterans' Service Records) may also be of use to you as you search for information about verification of service.


          In general, the Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) of veterans who were separated from service prior to 1955 (i.e. those with a service completion of 62 years ago [rolling date] or more) are considered archival records, and OMPFs of veterans who were separated from service in 1955 or later are considered non-archival holdings. You can find more information about this distinction here. You can contact the National Archives at St. Louis (stl.archives@nara.gov) with questions about archival OMPFs and the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis (mpr.center@nara.gov) for further information about non-archival OMPFs. It is important to note, though, that many records were destroyed in a fire in 1973, so some of the older service records you are interested in may not be available.


          Additionally, the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland (Archives II) has custody of unit records for some branches of the military that you expressed an interest in. We recommend that you contact them directly at archives2reference@nara.gov with any questions you might have about these records. Be sure to include as much specific information as possible in your inquiry, including branch of service, unit number, dates of interest, etc. Please note that these records typically do not include information about individuals.


          Thank you, again, for posting your question to the History Hub, and best of luck with your ongoing research.

          3 people found this helpful