4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2021 12:09 PM by Craig Hentcy

    Seeking copy of Naval Training Graduation Photograph

    Craig Hentcy Wayfarer

      Hello, I am seeking a replacement photograph of my dad's naval training graduation in November 1945 . He was assigned to the Naval Training Center, Sampson, NY. The date on the existing damaged picture is November 25, 1944, CO 516. Any help is appreciated.



      Craig Hentcy

          • Re: Seeking copy of Naval Training Graduation Photograph
            Craig Hentcy Wayfarer

            Hello Elliot,


            Thank you for your help and the photograph. Unfortunately that class is about 11 months to early. The photo I have shows a date of November 25,1944 with the same CO #516. Interesting that the CO# is the same. The DD-214 shows my dad entered service on 10/20/1944 and a muster roll shows him at USNTC Sampson NY as of 10/31/44. Clayton Albert Hentcy, Jr., service #6099881.

            Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

            Craig Hentcy

          • Re: Seeking copy of Naval Training Graduation Photograph
            Robert Crumley Scout

            Dear Craig Hentcy,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.


            Group photographs taken at basic training or boot camp were not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by official military photographers usually for publicity. Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy or Marine Corps activities from 1940 to 2007 (that are permanent) are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.


            Usually, the instructor of a training facility paid a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures. These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.


            You also may wish to request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!