1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 9, 2021 11:57 AM by Lori Norris

    Seeking records of 708th Maintenance Battalion, 8th Infantry Division

    K Kals Newbie

      I am trying to assist a friend in locating more information about her father who served in Vietnam: Company D, 708th Maintenance Battalion, 8th Infantry Division. He was unfortunately killed in a mining accident shy of her 3rd birthday in 1986 and she does not know much about his time in Vietnam. We know he was an E5 and an electrician but in terms of where he was stationed in Vietnam, what types of missions he served, etc. we don't know anything. Could someone point me in the right direction?

        • Re: Seeking records of 708th Maintenance Battalion, 8th Infantry Division
          Lori Norris Wayfarer

          Dear K Kals,


          Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!


          The National Archives at College Park has custody of Infantry Unit Records from the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1976 (Record Group 472).  These records may include organizational histories, daily journals, after action reports, and other information pertaining to battalion-sized and smaller U.S. Army infantry units that fought in the Vietnam War. 


          In addition, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          As a public health precaution due to COVID-19, all National Archives research rooms nationwide, including those at Presidential Libraries, are closed to the public until further notice. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!