1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2021 10:50 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking records of HHC, 1/50th Infantry, 2nd Armored Division

    Maura Garrett-Swodeck Newbie

      When was HHC 1st Battalion, 50th Infantry, 2nd Armored Division in Vietnam? Where would I find information on a soldier's service with this unit and what battles he fought in? I am looking for information on Arlan Willis Swodeck. I am his widow. Thank you very much.


      Maura Garrett Swodeck

        • Re: Seeking records of HHC, 1/50th Infantry, 2nd Armored Division
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mrs. Garrett-Swodeck,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Infantry Unit Records, 1965 - ca. 1973 and the series Recommendations for Unit Awards, 1970-1973 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472), which both include some records related to the 1/50th Infantry. These records have not been digitized. For access to and additional information about these and similar records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          In addition, the file 201-07 OPSEC - Reports - 1970 from the series General Records, 1965-1972 in Record Group 472 contains several references to the 1-50th. This report has been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog.


          If you have not done so already, you may wish to request your husband’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, the US Army Center of Military History has some information online about the 1st BATTALION, 50th INFANTRY REGIMENT | Lineage and Honors that may be of interest to you. You may also wish to contact them directly to see if they can offer you any additional assistance.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!