1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2021 12:31 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Searching for records of William J. O'Donnell

    Barbara Fossey Newbie

      Is is possible to search for records related to my great uncle William J. O'Donnell who worked for the U.S. Forestry Service (or equivalent) in the early 1900s?

        • Re: Searching for records of William J. O'Donnell
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Fossey,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity before 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please email RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and  include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, please check the Official Personnel Folders (OPF), Archival Holdings and Access website.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL.


          We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.