4 people found this helpful
Dear Ms. Collins,
Thank you for submitting your question to the History Hub.
If you search the National Archives Catalog (https://catalog.archives.gov/), you will find several series that might be of use to you. For example, here is a series that contains interrogation reports of Japanese prisoners:
- From Record Group (RG) 243: Transcripts of Interrogations and Interrogation Reports of Japanese Industrial, Military, and Political Leaders, 1945-1946 https://catalog.archives.gov/id/561587
If you are looking for information about prisoners of war (POWs), then you might also find these series helpful; they are from RG 24 (Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel, 1798-2007):
- General Records Relating to Prisoners of War (POWs), 1942-1953 https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6676317
- Correspondences Relating to the Status of Naval Prisoners of War (POWs), 1942-1945 https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6648696
- Correspondence and Lists Relating to Casualties and Prisoners of War (POWs) in the Pacific Area, 1942-1948 https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6664397
- Reports and Lists on Prisoners of War (POWs) in the Pacific and Asiatic Areas, 1943-1946 https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6682409
Or this series from RG 38 (Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operation, 1875-2006) might contain some of the information you are seeking:
- Naval Forces, Ulithi, Atoll Command Request for Information on American POWs 20 September 1945 https://catalog.archives.gov/id/26865307
And here are two additional series related to POWs:
- From RG 15: Repatriated American Prisoners of War File https://catalog.archives.gov/id/1128356
- From RG 389: Records of World War II Prisoners of War, 1942-1947 https://catalog.archives.gov/id/583428
You may be able to find more information about individual prisoners of war by searching AAD (Access to Archival Databases) at https://aad.archives.gov/aad/.
Finally, it might be possible to find information about the Naval aircraft in one of these series from RG 127 (Records of the U.S. Marine Corps, 1975-):
- Aircraft Accident Reports (Creator: Department of the Navy. U.S. Marine Corps. Aircraft Fleet Marine Force, Pacific. 9/16/1944-9/18/1947) https://catalog.archives.gov/id/20952821
- Aircraft Accident Reports (Creator: Department of the Navy. U.S. Marine Corps. Fleet Marine Force Pacific. Aircraft, Fleet Marine Force Pacific. 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. 10/11/1944-12/16/1946) https://catalog.archives.gov/id/20953033
These records are all located at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. If you have questions about any of these series, we recommend that you contact the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in College Park; they have staff members who specialize in Naval records and may be able to provide you with more specific guidance. You can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. for more information.
Thank you, again, for posting your question to the History Hub, and good luck with your continued search.