2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2021 9:30 PM by familytreevets Branched to a new discussion.

    Looking for records of David E. Rickard

    Erik White Newbie

      My Grandfather was a Navy Seabee. I know he was in the Pacific during WW2 and he was on the island of Tinian. I do not know what division he was in or anything. His name was David E. Rickard. He was born in Kentucky and died in 2002 in Indiana. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

        • Re: Looking for records of David E. Rickard
          Robert Crumley Scout

          Dear Erik White,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          For more information on Requesting Military Service Records you may want to visit - https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          And for information on Naval Construction Battalions, we suggest you contact the U.S. Navy Seabee Museum, 3201 N. Ventura Road, Naval Base Ventura County PH, Building 100, Port Hueneme, CA 93043. The email address is SeabeeMuseumArchive@navy.mil.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.


          • Re: Looking for records of David E. Rickard
            familytreevets Wayfarer

            He is named in the muster roll of the 107th Naval Construction Battalion. He was assigned to Company D, Platoon Six. His rating is given as CM3C, which, in that time period, indicates he was a Carpenters Mate 3rd Class. There is a picture of him with his platoon on page 204 of the Log Book for the battalion found at this link:


            107 NCB 1943-45.pdf (navy.mil)