1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 2:43 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Retired military spies in 1939


      I'm looking for information regarding the use of retired military in 1939 to spy in Europe.  My Grandfather claimed he did this and I've found a ship's passenger list from Antwerp in 1939 with his occupation being the War Department in Washington DC.  Any help is appreciated.

        • Re: Retired military spies in 1939
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Buerkle,


          Thank you for submitting your question to the History Hub. You might be able to find some helpful information in the National Archives' Record Group 165: Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs | National Archives. More specifically, the records created by the War Department's Military Intelligence Division (MID) might prove fruitful. You can find more information about this organization and links to series created by the MID here: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/10511458 . Several name and subject indexes related to these records exist. If you have questions about these records or would like further assistance with them, you can contact the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. Their email address is archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Additionally, you might consider requesting your grandfather's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Army and the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. More information can be found here: Request Your Military Service Records Online, by Mail, or by Fax | National Archives.


          If your grandfather worked for the government in a civilian capacity, there may also be an Official Personnel File (OPF) for him. OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1954 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis. For more information, please visit the website: Official Personnel Folders (OPF), Archival Holdings and Access | National Archives.


          Best of luck with your continued search!

          3 people found this helpful