1 Reply Latest reply on May 4, 2021 9:50 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking army service photograph and complete records/files of my grandfathet

    Jackie Claudio Newbie

      I am trying to get my grandfathers army service picture i have seen it before from old relatives but do not HAVE one for myself and i know specific information about some of hos account in the army . Ex. US army tech 5, and i have been able to locate and copy his enlistment sign up paper/card with his own handwriting. Which i know is his i HAVE a picture copy of that, however i really desire to have a copy of his picture . His face. And possibly any other information or records or files. Because i miss him so much and love him so much and i want to hace a  photo of him. Please can some one help me.

        • Re: Seeking army service photograph and complete records/files of my grandfathet
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Jackie Claudio,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be a permanent federal record by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in your grandfather's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          In addition, photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov to see if they can offer any additional assistance; their website is Photographs and Graphic Works in College Park, Maryland. Please include as much information about your grandfather and his service as possible (e.g. name, dates, branch of service, unit number) when you submit your inquiry.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!