1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2021 1:04 PM by Carey Stumm

    Seeking records for Henry K. Richey Project

    Rich Slaugenhoupt Newbie

      Dear History Hub:


      I own an old book that used to belong to a WWI soldier.

      And I would like to see it given to a surviving family member who might want to have it, if one can reasonably be located.

      Could you please write back and let me know what you can find out to find a surviving relative that could be contacted for this project?

      Here is the story.  I was given a book, Military Laws of the United States, 5th Edition, 1915 as a gift about forty years ago.  I am recently retired - and have way too much time on my hands and too little money in my pocket  - so I decided to try to research a dedication in the book:

      Property of Henry K. Richey, given by Lt. George Lovell, 1917 to 1922.

      It is over 100 years old and was used for legal reference, so it is only in fair to good condition and probably not worth a whole lot monetarily.

      I think that Henry K. Richey served in the AEF during WWI. I Have no idea about Lt. Lovell.

      I suppose the book could be donated, but I would prefer instead to see it given to a family member (sort of like, "It's cool to have something of Great Great Grandfather"), if he/she/they would like to have it, but I really can't afford to spend very much money on this project.

      Please let me know if this can be affordable.

      Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

      Rick Slaugenhoupt


      Image attached.


        • Re: Seeking records for Henry K. Richey Project
          Carey Stumm Adventurer

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          What a wonderful gesture to try to track down the family of Henry K. Richey to return this book. Doing this level of research can take a great deal of time and patience. Luckily, quite a few people have started creating family trees online and tracking down family members has become much easier in recent years. It sounds like you have a little information on him to start your research. You could search the American Expeditionary Forces in our catalog, although this might not lead you to family members.


          Probably the best place to start is with census records. I did a quick search and there are quite a few Henry K. Richey’s listed in the census but if you know can estimate his date of birth and the area he was living during the census that's a great place to start. The 1940 census is available on our website here. Earlier census are available through Ancestry, which is a subscription based site but is free through most public libraries or at home with your library card. They're also available through FamilySearch which is free, but you'll need to create an account.


          Once you find some records of his you may be able to follow his family through vital records, such as birth, marriage and death records which are recorded at the city or county level. These are often available on Ancestry and FamilySearch as well, but you may need to contact local resources if those records have not been scanned. At this point in your research, you may be able to find a good match for him on a family tree or track down a living relative through the resources listed above.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!