1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2021 3:34 PM by Shane Bell

    Surname changes

    Janette Nottrodt Newbie

      Where do I find information re: immigrant in Canada changing surname?

        • Re: Surname changes
          Shane Bell Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Nottrodt,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


          If the immigrant for whom you're searching immigrated to Canada then changed their surname, you might contact the Library & Archives Canada: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Pages/home.aspx


          If you're searching for an immigrant into the United States, you can submit a reference request to the National Archives at DC and provide additional information.  archives1reference@nara.gov


          The National Archives and Records Administration would not have records of an individual's immigration into Canada.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.