1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 27, 2021 1:58 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking records of AEF Intelligence Section

    Caroline Blackburn Newbie

      I am seeking any information on a Major George F. Tyler, who worked in the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) Intelligence Section in WWI, spring and summer of 1918. Who did he work with and where and for how long? Also, searching for any information on the AEF Intelligence Section as a whole. Thank you very much.

        • Re: Seeking records of AEF Intelligence Section
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Blackburn,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 29 series in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) (World War I) (Record Group 120) that were created by the War Department. American Expeditionary Forces. Intelligence Section that may be relevant to your research. You may also use the Catalog to explore records created by other offices within the Intelligence Section. These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about these records, please contact the National Archives unit(s) listed in each individual Catalog description, including the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov, the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov, and the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.


          If you have not done so already, you may wish to request Major Tyler’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2, RDSS, and RDSC. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!