2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2021 1:16 PM by Elliot Schneider

    My grandfather was in WWI, and I would like to know about his time in France.

    Sandra Turpin Newbie

      My grandfather, Arthur "Dutch" Erb, was in WWI and I would like to know more about his time in France as well as his unit. How would I be able to obtain specifics about his enlistment and discharge? I have been told that he was MIA in France, but nothing about his return. Originally from Ohio, he was in an Artillery unit which I have not been able to locate- BTRY E 2 Field ARTY- which is on his grave marker. He passed away in a VA hospital in Huntington, West VA.

      Thank you,

      Sandra Turpin

        • Re: My grandfather was in WWI, and I would like to know about his time in France.
          Jared Chamberlin Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Turpin,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Records of Field Artillery Regiments Numbers 1 through 351, 1912-1930 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that may include the records of his Field Artillery Regiment during WWI. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          We also suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: My grandfather was in WWI, and I would like to know about his time in France.
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is some information he was with the  BTRY E. 2nd FA, 8th Division during WW1. Looks like he also applied for the draft WW2 please see the draft card below. He was probably found after missing in action or MIA please see additional manifest showing him returning to the states. According to some of the things I've read most troops made the trip over but never saw any action due to the close proximity towards the end of the war. My guess they all had a good time sightseeing and building and taking down camps and closing up shop.


            Additional information on the 8th Division. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)








            1 person found this helpful