1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2021 10:53 AM by Anna Smallwood

    Seeking military documents and family information of Florencio Estrada

    Linda Hindes Wayfarer

      A relative wondered what had happened to her Tio Lencho 1940s  Lencho is a nickname for various Hispanic/Spanish name such as Lawrence, Florencio, Larry, etc.  Two years later reviewing a family member's WWII Draft Card, I found the contact person as Lencho Miller Estrada.  I have learned that both father and son with same name used their "nickname" as their legal name on military records and even on the gravestone.  Florencio Estrada born 1887 in Rosemont, Arizona.  One organization refused the area of Rosemont.  It was a Copper Mining Town.  Odd, the U.S. Military accepted it on his records.  I struggle to find birth or parents information. 


      What form does a Military veteran complete that would have his parents full names and their birth locations? Some Social Security applications sometimes show the parents names but not always.  Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking military documents and family information of Florencio Estrada
          Anna Smallwood Wayfarer

          Dear Linda Hindes:


          If you have not done so already, oftentimes vital records such as birth certificates or marriage licenses will provide the names of the parents of a particular person. Vital Records (birth/death certificates, marriage licenses, etc.) are not considered federal records and are not kept by the National Archives. Please refer to local jurisdictions for these records. For more information see https://www.archives.gov/research/vital-records.


          It is also worth noting that census records are a great resource for genealogical research. Information about census records can be found on our website at https://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/census/about. Many of these records have been digitized and are available through our partners or our catalog. For additional information about accessing these records, you can visit our website.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) are in the custody of the National Personnel Records Center. A GSA Standard Form 180 to request records is available at https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf.  You can complete it and mail it to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, Missouri  63138. For more information about OMPFs please visit https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html. When requesting these records, it is important to ask for copies of the entire file, not just the DD-214. That way you can see the entire contents of the military personnel file.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information assists you with your research!