4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2021 1:50 AM by Michael Huffman

    Research help on great uncle's disappearance

    Michael Huffman Newbie



      I am looking for help on researching my great uncle, Carl Darwin Moody. I recently began mapping out my family tree, and came upon a story that I heard growing up. I had a great uncle that disappeared from a military hospital in late 1950, or early 1951. Unfortunately, there isn't any family that I can ask since for information as it happened a long time ago, and most of my older relatives don't remember much about it. Here is what I have been able to find out through family and research.


      Born on December 31, 1930 in Pulaski County, Kentucky

      Father is Amos Porter Moody (1911 - 1949)

      Mother is Susie Moody (Vanhook) (1910 - 1998)


      On December 25, 1950, he was in a car accident in Louisville, Kentucky. From the article in the Courier-Journal, he received face cuts, body bruises, and possible internal injuries. The article says he was taken to Nichols Hospital, which I was able to find out was closed in 1952. I called the Louisville VA hospital, but they have no records under his name and last four of SSN. From old family stories, he got up and walked out of this hospital, never to be seen or heard from again.


      Any information/guidance that anyone can help with would be greatly appreciated.



        • Re: Research help on great uncle's disappearance
          Alice Lane Ranger

          Hi Michael

          Welcome to History Hub

          Possible Charles Darwin Moody....According to familysearch.org (a free website, register to use) Charles D Moody born on Dec. 29, 1930 lived in the area shown, in the years shown

          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer.



            • Re: Research help on great uncle's disappearance
              Michael Huffman Newbie

              Hi Allice,


              Thank you for taking the time to research and reply on my query. Unfortunately, this is not the same person. I am 100% confident in the DOB and location of Pulaski County, Kentucky. I have been able to find a bunch of information that supports that. Where I am running in to brick walls is beyond Sep 5, 1947, and his military records. I know that after he went missing the MP's would randomly show up at my great grandmothers house to see if he had been in contact. The last trace of him is the noted car accident.



            • Re: Research help on great uncle's disappearance
              Joshua Mason Adventurer

              Good afternoon,


              Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


              The Federal Government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, adoption, death, marriage, or divorce records.  Such records are made and kept by State and local governments rather than the National Archives.  We suggest searching substitute record sources such as probate records, church records, and newspaper records that may uncover more information about your ancestor.  For more information on conducting genealogical research within our records, please visit the following link:




              You may wish to search Ancestry for the Social Security Death Index to try to determine a place and date of death.  Ancestry is a subscription-based database, but it is available for free public use at all National Archives facilities and many public libraries.  FamilySearch is free but you have to create an account with them. 


              You could also try requesting a copy of your great uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued.  For a copy of his OMPF or other personnel records, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Or you may apply online at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/


              Another avenue of approach would be to search the military record site Fold3, which the National Archives partners with.  There may be a fee for using Fold3.  Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


              You could also reach out to the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives to determine what they could have on your relative.


              We hope this information is helpful and best of luck with your research!


              1 person found this helpful