1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 12, 2021 12:09 PM by Zachary Dabbs

    Seeking US Navy service records of John Wright

    Connie Wright Newbie

      John Taylor Wright (a.k.a John B. Taylor,{re: adoption}), born in Illinois in 1903 served in the US Navy sometime during the 1920s, aboard a ship that deployed in support of US interests in either Honduras or Nicaragua, possibly Panama, but I don't think so. I've been told he was a machinist mate and worked on steam turbines. I have 2 photographs of him in his whites and I can see a single hash on his lower left sleeve, but the image is too grainy to discern any rank; in one, he's sitting amongst tropical vegetation and in the second, he is posing on a steam locomotive near a damaged building (see attached). I have combed cruise books with no luck, and have no idea where else to look. He registered for the draft but did not serve in WWII. Additionally, when he passed away in 1966, his children didn't honor his military service at all so there is no US Veteran or VA death information available. I've reached a point where I don't know where else to look. If anyone can point me toward a source I have yet to explore, or can even decipher any of the info in the photo, I would really apprecate it.


      Thank you!John Wright posing on a locomotive in Central America, circa 1920s

        • Re: Seeking US Navy service records of John Wright
          Zachary Dabbs Tracker

          Good Morning Connie Wright,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!