1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2021 10:15 AM by Alicia Gabriel

    Need help finding Great Grandpa's ww1 info

    Ronnie Hamby Newbie

      I have his basic info but I seem to not be able to find any pictures or anything more than a boarding ship roster and tombstone registry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        • Re: Need help finding Great Grandpa's ww1 info
          Alicia Gabriel Adventurer

          Dear Ronnie,


          Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!


          The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120).  Military unit files among these records consist mostly of historical reports, operation reports, and unit journals.  Because the files are arranged hierarchically, identification of the specific unit (i.e., division, regiment, and battalion) and date of interest are necessary before a search can be conducted. They do not include personnel information such as you request. We do not have a name index to these records.


          The National Archives does not have duplicates of the World War I service records that were destroyed in the 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center.  We do, however, have several different types of records for divisions, regiments and other units of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I.  These include war diaries, historical files and organizational records, and  unit strength returns.  It should be understood that these records seldom, if ever, contain information on individuals.  Strength returns will usually show the number of men in a unit, but will not list their names; occasionally there  will be  a roster of  officers.  There is usually a brief "record of events" for the month of the return.  We have strength returns at the company level for most units.  War diaries and historical files were created at the divisional and regimental levels.  War diaries consist of brief entries on forms prepared daily.  Historical files are working papers which may include manuscript histories although these are generally less complete than available published unit histories.  If you are interested in obtaining copies of the unpublished records we will be happy to provide you with a quotation for reproduction costs.


          For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs o request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          Alicia Gabriel