1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2021 10:17 AM by Alicia Gabriel

    Looking for info about my Grandfather

    Matt Lambert Newbie

      My grandfather, T/5 John William Eskew (service number 36877458), was part of the 757th Tank Battalion, which was an independent tank battalion that didn't fall under any armored division. I'm trying to find his service records and any information about the unit he was in. I have seen a few things like a post war after action report on the 757th, but nothing specific about what he did.


      There was some questions from my other family members of what medals he may have received such as a Bronze Star with V device, a purple heart and also a French Croix de Guerre. If he did receive a Bronze Star, is there a citation that still exists?


      I haven't been able to find out anything about his induction in the army (was he conscripted or did he volunteer?).


      I appreciate any help or leads!

        • Re: Looking for info about my Grandfather
          Alicia Gabriel Adventurer

          Dear Matt,


          Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!


          The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- (Record Group 407) and the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338).  Military unit files among these records consist mostly of historical reports, after action reports, unit journals, and general orders.  Because the files are arranged hierarchically, identification of the specific unit (i.e., division, regiment, and battalion) and date of interest are necessary before a search can be conducted. They do not include personnel or medical information such as you request. We do not have a name index to these records. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          Alicia Gabriel

          1 person found this helpful