1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 10, 2021 6:38 PM by Jamie Vander Clute

    Seeking personal service assignments of Hall W Powell

    Randy Welch Newbie

      His name is Hall William Powell and he served in the Marines from June 1939 to November 1945. On his service record that we received in 1985 it says due to war conditions this information is not available.  Is this information now available?  At the time, all I was asking for was what medals he received.  But I am now interested in what his specific assignments were.

        • Re: Seeking personal service assignments of Hall W Powell
          Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

          Dear Mr. Welch,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Military personnel records are completely opened to the public 62 years after the veteran leaves the military. We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!