1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2021 9:31 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking Support Documentation for N-565 Application

    Paul Obata Newbie

      Hello, My wife and I are experiencing difficulty trying to find support documentation for her mother who left Cuba with her family and arrived here in Miami, FL back in October 22, 1962 (one of the family passports was says Oct 23, 1962).  All of her family became citizens.  We filled out a N-565 Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship last year and are now are now being asked to provide a lot of documents that were lost during Hurricane Andrew here back in 1992.  All we have is her original birth certificate from Cuba, a very old passport, her parents passports, and her divorce papers.  Her mother is 80 so getting details has been challenging.  The N-565 requires: (1) evidence of a previous issue of Certificate of Citizenship; (2) certified copy of her naturalization records from the National Archives; and (3) an Alien registration Number (which we hope would be on the citizenship papers). We are a bit overwhelmed so any assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking Support Documentation for N-565 Application
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Mr. Obata,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a certified copy of your mother in law’s Petition for Naturalization by contacting the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) that has custody of Federal court records from Florida. Please email RE-AT at atlanta.archives@nara.gov and include her name (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where she was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.  The certified copy will meet the 3 criteria cited for the N-565 (it will be evidence of issuance of a certificate, it will be the certified copy requested, and it will have the A-Number listed on it). 


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          You may submit a Name Index Search to the US Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) to obtain a copy of the files in their custody.  When you submit an Index Search Request, the USCIS Genealogy Program will send you a letter reporting the search results. The letter will identify all file references found in the index and provide instructions and additional information necessary to request the file(s) from the USCIS Genealogy Program and the Freedom of Information (FOIA) Program. Or you may request just a copy of her A-File via the FOIA program.


          We also suggest that you review NARA’s Naturalization Records website and the FamilySearch Research wiki United States Naturalization and Citizenship for more information about the naturalization process.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]