2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2021 1:47 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking military records of Oliver Eugene White

    Andrew McLemore Newbie

      I am trying to find my Grandpa's information.  Oliver Eugene White was a Seabee in WWII and said he served as a Baker and drove a bulldozer "after the bread was done". He went by O.E. White & "Gene" White. Can someone direct me where to go to find what unit he was in and where they moved around to?  I think he said they island-hopped, but I cannot find out where.  He just told us "Midway" because we wouldn't know the other places.  I'd like to find out where he was and when...I think he did two tours.  He was gone for over two years, but came home for a few months in between.  Any help is appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Oliver Eugene White
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          In the Navy he was considered a Seabee and he went to Naval Construction School at Camp Perry, VA. Here is muster rolls for him in 1943. He is shown as (AS) Apprentice Seaman.




          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of Oliver Eugene White
            Lisha Penn Ranger

            Dear Mr. McLemore,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). There are two types of records: cards and classification histories. The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records and email it to RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            For men who registered for the draft before 1976, all other individual draftee files besides the cards and classification histories were destroyed by the Selective Service System in 1978, in accordance with approved records retention schedules. Physical examination and test results, medical letters, laboratory work, and other medical documentation that may have been included in these files no longer exist.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!