2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2020 9:35 PM by Amanda Dunkin

    Seeking information about Cpl Richard Dyer

    Amanda Dunkin Newbie

      I was given by a family member and old military trunk that belonged to another family member who, I was unable to meet. I've been trying to get information on it and him but I have no luck in the research department. If anyone is able to help with any information, I'd love to learn more about it. I've had it in my possession for the last 20 years. On the trunk it reads: CPL RICHARD DYER, 17215592, 5012 ASN, DETACHMENT, FORT SHERIDAN, ILLINOIS. Thanks so much.

        • Re: Seeking information about Cpl Richard Dyer
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Dunkin,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The service number 17215592 was issued sometime from 1946 through 1948, from one of the following states: Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming. Based on the date range the service number was issued, his birthday may have been in the 1928-1930 range, but we can not be certain at this time.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Army during most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire.  If he separated from service less than 62 years ago, certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. If his date of separation was more than 62 years ago, the records are open to the public. For more information, see Request Military Service Records.


          In regards to “5012 ASN, DETACHMENT, FORT SHERIDAN, ILLINOIS,” we have located references to the 5012 Army Service Unit (ASU)  located in Fort Sheridan during the latter 1940s and early 1950s. Army Service Units performed a variety of administrative and logistics support functions.


          We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 5012th Army Service Unit during the 1940s. For information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate records of the 5012rh ASU during the 1950s.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          Additional information about the 5012th ASU may be located in the following:



          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information about Cpl Richard Dyer
            Amanda Dunkin Newbie

            Thank you so much! From my understanding from what my grandmother has told me is that he was in WWII but that was all I was able to get. Again, thank you!