2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2020 9:10 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking my grandfather's military history.

    John Doe Newbie

      I'm trying to find any information about my grandfather's military history.

        • Re: Seeking my grandfather's military history.
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have any additional information, such as a name, DOB, or place of birth.





          • Re: Seeking my grandfather's military history.
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Myers,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. If this is for family research purposes, please mark “Genealogy” as the purpose for your order and for the items you are requesting check “Other” and write that you want his entire file.


            If he separated from service less than 62 years ago, certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.  The next-of-kin is defined as any of the following: the unremarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran. To access the full file, next-of-kin must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home, or a published obituary. For more information see Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) - Veterans and Next-of-Kin.


            If his date of separation was more than 62 years ago, the records are open to the public and no proof of death is required to access the records. For more information, see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Holdings.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful.