1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2020 3:08 PM by Cara Jensen

    How do I find information about my birth father?

    Amanda Jordan Wayfarer

      I'm trying to locate my birth father. His name is Stephen Lee Murphy who was born in Claremore, Oklahoma in April 1957. I was informed that the Marine Corps took him back to California in 1976. I'm not sure if that's correct as I have found out that my paternal side of the family has a lot of mental issues.

        • Re: How do I find information about my birth father?
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Jordan,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.