4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2020 10:24 PM by Briana Miller

    Seeking Naval service record of Robert Miller


      Hello, I saw a beautiful exhibition of original photographs taken by Victor Jorgensen, one of Edward Steichen's crew, during WWII. The exhibition, which included a copy of the fascinating publication US Navy War Photographs, is Though There Be Fury on the Waves - Portland Art Museum and includes a virtual walkthrough by the curator. The prints were recently donated to the museum and are a visceral record of both daily life and battles aboard the ships Jorgensen covered.


      It made me curious to know which ship my paternal grandfather served on, but it seems like no one in my immediate family has that information. My paternal grandfather, Robert Clinton Miller, served in the Pacific Arena, and we were told he was in Japan when that country surrendered. He served from 1944-1946. His date of birth is 01/13/21. He gave my sister his service medals and I'd also like to find out what each is for. The label on the box for the one she gave me (she's a nice sister) says "U.S. Navy - S.&A. Order 28675 Asiatic-Pacific Theatre Campaign Medals U.S. Mint." Is there an online resource for looking up medals as a start? What's the best way to start tracking down which ship my grandfather was on?


      My grandmother went with him to San Diego and worked as a Rosie the Riveter in La Jolla at the time, too. Are there records for the women who worked in these roles that I can research? Thank you so much.

        • Re: Seeking Naval service record of Robert Miller
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Can you tell me Who Robert C, Hack is? It appears that he may have had a name change at sometime in his lifetime? If that's the case we may have to look under Robert C. Hack. Just to confirm the dates on the grave marker from navy are 1944-1946. Doris is his wife.





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking Naval service record of Robert Miller
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Ms. Miller,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            In regards to records of your grandfather’s US Navy service, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who served during World War II and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  In Section II, under “CHECK THE ITEM(S) YOU ARE REQUESTING” check “Other” and write that you want his entire file. Under “PURPOSE” check Genealogy. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know (such as the service number), you may omit it, but the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            For information about US Navy awards and service ribbons, see the following.


            In regards to your grandmother, if she worked as a civilian employee of the federal government (to include civilian employees of the War Department and Navy Department and the individual military branches) there may be an Official Personnel Folder (OPF) for her. OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please email RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and  include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if known and applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/opf.


            Please note that the majority of the individuals who worked in war-related industries were employees of private corporations contracted by the government to supply war material, rather than being employees of the federal government itself. The federal government did not retain rosters or personnel records for contractors, nor was there a legal requirement that these companies permanently retain their personnel files.  We do not have information about the status or whereabouts of such records. If the files still exist, they may still be in the custody of the originating company or its successor.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Otherwise, you may still mail in your request now, however it will be quite some time until NPRC can respond. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!