2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2020 9:45 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking unit Robert B. Riley served in during WWII


      I am looking for what Army/Division/Regiment unit my father served in during WWII. Robert B. Riley (my father) was from Syracuse, NY.. His Army Serial Number is 32847199. He arrived in ATO(?) on 30 January 1944 and served 20 months in ETO.  Would like to try to find out which campaigns/battles he might have participated in.

        • Re: Seeking unit Robert B. Riley served in during WWII

          I can add more information to the question:


          In 1944, I believe in Italy, Robert B. Riley was in the 4th Squad, 4th platoon, Company G (I don't know which US Army, Division, Regiment, etc.)

          The squad consisted of:

          1. Riley, Robt. Sq Ldr

          2. Rizzotto, Chas. 2nd Cmd

          3. Powell, Rich L.

          4. Quick, Robt

          5. Reese, Harry

          6. Peck, Wm.

          7. Pierce, John

          8. Phelan, Wm.

          9. Pederson, Robt

          10. Povio, Giovanni

          11. Pelaez (Paldez), Jos.


          Would like to try to find out which campaigns/battles he might have participated in.  Most of his records were lost in the fire in 1973.

          • Re: Seeking unit Robert B. Riley served in during WWII
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. Riley,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may leave it blank or provide estimates, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct files if they survived the fire. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes a file pertaining to Robert B. Riley, service number 32847199, of Syracuse, New York. Please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


            Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 and copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 and 1947 - 1959 for Army units (including Army Air Corps) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). However, because these records have not been digitized yet and are not name searchable, RL-SL would need to know the full unit designation before they could locate your father in these records. Unfortunately, given that nearly every single Army regiment with more than one battalion had a Company G, the information provided is not enough to narrow down the relevant records. For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.  Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!