7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2021 9:25 AM by Jeremy Crabb

    Seeking Korean War Medals from Navy service

    Jeremy Crabb Adventurer

      One of my neighbors asked me what medals he's entitled to receive from his Navy service in the Korean War. I know he receives the National Defense, Korean, and UN medal. Is there anything I'm missing?

        • Re: Seeking Korean War Medals from Navy service
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information. you have the Naval Good Conduct Medal, the Republic of Korean War service medal was not issued to actually wear until 1999 I believe, plus he can have campaign stars depending how many campaigns his naval unit was credited for. Additionally he may be authorized to wear naval unit citations from the war depending if the naval unit was awarded this citation.






          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking Korean War Medals from Navy service
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Mr. Crabb,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Navy veterans who served during the Korean War are eligible for the following medals:


            • National Defense Service Medal for active military service from June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954.


            • The Korean Service Medal for service in Korea or the surrounding waters between June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954. This includes land, air, and naval operations. If you know the ships he served on, that will determine entitlement to any campaign stars for the medal and ribbon.


            • The United Nations Service Medal has the same criteria as the KSM, but no campaign stars are issued with the medal and ribbon.


            • The Navy Combat Action Ribbon (CAR) was established on February 17 1969, but Korean War veterans are retroactively eligible for the award if they met specific criteria. They must have served on active duty in the Korean area and participated in combat operations on ships or in squadrons. The Department of the Navy will determine if the veteran may receive the award based on deployment timeframe and attachment to naval vessels.


            • The Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation is a foreign decoration that was awarded to members of the U.S. Armed Forces for service during the Korean War. The RKPUC is awarded under the same criteria as the KSM and UN Service Medal.


            • Beginning in 1999, the Department of Defense authorized the wearing of the Korean War Service Medal. This is another foreign decoration issued by the Republic of Korea with no campaign stars or appurtenances. If the veteran served for 30 consecutive days in the Korea and surrounding waters and participated in combat operations, they are eligible for the KWSM.


            • If the veteran served in Korea any time after July 27 1954, they are eligible for the Korea Defense Service Medal. If the veteran was honorably discharged, they also receive the Honorable Discharge Button.


            Personal awards, decorations, badges, and unit awards will be found in their Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). For Air Force (including Army Air Corps), Army, and Navy personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals. If the veteran wants to request their medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful.


            4 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking Korean War Medals from Navy service
              Jeremy Crabb Adventurer

              After sharing this info with my neighbor (who's in ill-health) and his spouse, they shared with me that they swear he also got a Purple Heart. They had a 214 but lost it a long time ago, but they have pictures of him wearing the medal and ribbon bar. I know that everything with NARA is backed up right now, but should they just go straight to the Navy for a replacement instead of having the NPRC refer it to them?