4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2020 3:28 PM by Rebekah Pierce

    Seeking records of USAFFE Fiscal Director

    Rebekah Pierce Newbie

      Hello, my grandfather served with MacArthur in Australia and the Philippines and as near as I can figure out was the fiscal director for the USAFFE when MacArthur went from Australia back to the Philippine Islands (1944-1945).  I have his service number, but I am interested in finding out more about what he did during his time in Australia and what his actual war experience was like.  The letters he sent home to his parents are very bland and very pedestrian... mostly having to do with missing birthdays and anniversaries and giving examples about how to deposit his paychecks.  Obviously, he was not in the heat of battle as part of the Financial Department staff, but I am certain there are experiences and stories that he could tell if he were still alive and I knew what questions to ask.  Thanks in advance for any help or direction.

        • Re: Seeking records of USAFFE Fiscal Director
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          You may find what your looking for here in the following Record Group.





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking records of USAFFE Fiscal Director
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Ms. Pierce,


            Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 2 series of the U.S. Army Forces Far East (USAFFE) Office of the Fiscal Director during WWII in the Records of General Headquarters, Southwest Pacific Area and United States Army Forces, Pacific (World War II) (Record Group 496). We also located 4 series of the FEC Fiscal Section during the 1940s in the Records of General Headquarters, Far East Command, Supreme Commander Allied Powers, and United Nations Command (Record Group 554). For information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Since you have his service number, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

              • Re: Seeking records of USAFFE Fiscal Director
                Rebekah Pierce Newbie



                Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply.  I have requested my grandfather's service records and am hopeful that I will receive them soon.  I sent the original request into the office in St. Louis in July.  I know it can take some time, but I was hoping to have had some information by now. 


                I am currently enrolled in a Masters Program in World War II Studies through Arizona State University and one of our recent assignments was to evaluate any personal war memorabilia that we had related to family members that had served.  As far as I know, my grandpa didn't see much combat, and he didn't talk too much about his experiences during the war.  I am interested mostly in trying to figure out more about his unit.  It may turn out that he was as boring and efficient during the war as he was afterwards, but I can also imagine that being attached to MacArthur's staff as they marched their way toward Japan would have to yield some interesting stories.  If I could just find out more about the unit he served with, I think that would give me some more insight into his overall war experience.


                I will continue to wait on his records, but I thought I would see what other avenues I could explore.  Based on your experience, about how long does it take to receive information?  I know my brother-in-law requested my husband's grandfather's Navy records and he said it took a few months.  Just wondering if there is a way to confirm receipt or to know whether my request was lost in the mail.  The efficacy of email and instant proof of receipt has spoiled us all.


                Thanks again for the email and the information.


                Rebekah Pierce