3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2020 11:40 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of JC Lindsey

    Lawrence Lindsey Newbie

      I am trying to find military records for my uncle. His name is JC Lindsey. Don't know what the JC stands for. He passed away in Dayton, Ohio on Jan. 23, 1956. He was either 32 or 35. He was born in Lineville, Alabama. His father's name was Fred and his mother's name was Sally or Sallie. He served in WWII.

        • Re: Seeking military records of JC Lindsey
          Elliot Schneider Guide

          Mr. Lindsey,


          Here is some information on him. Also 1930 census is to large to attach here but here is some information below Looks like Sallie and Steve were is father at birth? Is this correct because you listed Fred as his father and not Steve, Its possible that their was a divorce or separation?


          Name: J C Lindsey

          Birth Year: 1926

          Gender: Male

          Race: Negro (Black)

          Age in 1930 (4)

          Birthplace: Alabama

          Marital Status: Single

          Relation to Head of House: Son

          Home in 1930 Lineville, Clay, Alabama, USA

          Map of Home Lineville,Clay,Alabama Institution of Precinct 13 Lineville Ala R D

          House Number: apr 23

          Dwelling Number: 190

          Family Number: 212

          Attended School:  No

          Father's Birthplace:  Alabama

          Mother's Birthplace: Alabama


          Household Members

          Steve Lindsey
          Sallie Lindsey
          Curtis Lindsey
          Duglis Lindsey
          Camilla Lindsey
          Stephen Lindsey
          Percie Lindsey
          J C Lindsey




          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of JC Lindsey
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. Lindsey,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the World War II Enlistment Records on the National Archives’ Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the following entry for LINDSEY#J#C which matches the information provided by previous replies.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know (such as social security number), you may leave it blank.  However, please be sure to include the service number, entry date, and release date noted on the headstone application that Mr. Schneider located for you. Also, you may attach a copy of the entire headstone application form, as it includes information such as his unit which may be useful in locating auxiliary records if his OMPF has been damaged or destroyed. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959  are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov


            We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 239th Quartermaster Detachment. While unit records generally do not include detailed information about each member, they may provide insights into the activities of the unit as a whole. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            We also located Draft Registration Cards for Alabama, 10/16/1940 - 3/31/1947 in the Records of the Selective Service System (Record Group 147) that includes a draft registration card for him. We are attaching a copy of the card to the end of our reply.  Please note that “IO” stands for “Initial Only”.


            Plus, you may be interested in his selective service classification ledger.  Classification Ledgers (SSS Form 102), also known as a Classification History, chronicle the status of each man’s eligibility, exemptions, tests, entry, and final disposition from service.  The codes for these classification ledgers can be found on the Selective Service System’s websiteSupplementary information provided by registrants (medical records, school enrollment forms, or other documents supporting reasons for classifications) was not considered permanent record material and as such was not retained by the Selective Service Commission.  For example, the National Archives cannot provide documentation or a reason for why someone was classified as “4F”. To access draft registration cards or classification ledgers for 1940 – 1975, please fill out the Selective Service System Records Request form and send it to: National Archives & Records Administration, National Archives - St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL P.O. Box 38757. For more information see Selective Service Records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, the NPRC closed again as of November 7, 2020 until further notice. NPRC will respond only to requests involving burials, medical emergencies, and homeless veterans.  If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines or emergency requests may be faxed to (314) 801-0764.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!