2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2020 12:38 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking any Vietnam veterans named O'Grady


      I am looking for any Vietnam veterans with the last name of O'Grady.

        • Re: Seeking any Vietnam veterans named O'Grady
          Alice Lane Ranger

          Hi Patrick

          Welcome to History Hub,


          Vietnam Veteran's of America should be able to help you

          They can be found at...https://vva.org/


          Good Luck in your search.


          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          • Re: Seeking any Vietnam veterans named O'Grady
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. O’Grady,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The National Archives does not have a comprehensive list of Vietnam veterans. If there is a specific veteran you are researching, we suggest that you request a copy of his or her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. If there is any information you do not know, you may leave it blank, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file.  Please note that NPRC staff must be able to identify a specific file for a specific individual in order to be able to respond to your request.  They do not have the resources to provide you copies of every file for a given surname in response to a request. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            If you are trying to locate the current whereabouts of a specific veteran, the National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp). If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.


            Please review NARA’s Locating Veterans and Service Members web page for some additional suggestions.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!