3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2020 9:13 AM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking military records of Ernest Ludlow


      I am seeking records on my grandfather, Ernest Ludlow, who served in the military during WWI. He was from Veedersburg, IN. He was born in 1895 and died in 1963. A draft record says he enlisted on 5 June 1917. How do I get his service records?

        • Re: Seeking military records of Ernest Ludlow
          J. Andrew Tracker

          If you are referencing this draft registration card (which I got from Ancestry), the 5 June 1917 date is the date he registered for the draft, not the date he joined the military. Those were two separate acts.  Not all who registered for the draft were drafted.


          • Re: Seeking military records of Ernest Ludlow
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

            Ms. Waterman,


            You will need to contact the NPRC in St. Louis they will likely have what your looking for. However, there was a fire that destroyed many army and air force records. But always worth a try, and right now they are only processing emergency request during the pandemic. Will have to wait until their normal operations resume. In the mean time here is something's I found. https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=60525&h=94710523&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=6482


            Name:Ernest Ludlow
            Birth Date:18 May 1895
            Issue Year:Before 1951
            Issue State:Indiana
            Death Date:Dec 1963





            Hope this helps,

            Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Seeking military records of Ernest Ludlow
              Thomas Richardson Navigator

              Dear Ms. Waterman,


              Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub!


              We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!