1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2020 1:24 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking records about my father's service in the Navy

    Lora Lake Newbie

      Can I get more detailed records on my father's service in WWII (Navy) in addition to his Notice of Separation? What else is available?

        • Re: Seeking records about my father's service in the Navy
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Lake,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          You may request a full copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!