2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2020 5:07 PM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking records & pictures of Redfern "Buster" Ragadale


      My father, REDFERN "BUSTER" RAGADALE, was born in 1927 and died in 2001. I would love to find pictures of him while in Vietnam or any other place he was stationed. He never knew about me and my first cousins have very few pictures of him...so I am HOPING there are some someplace. He was wounded while riding in a helicopter when in Vietnam. He was serving in the Air Force then. He did his time in the Army, then changed over to AF because he liked working on aircraft. I believe he worked on the jet plane panels and also did some "secret" work since some documents I have are blacked out. Any information would be GREAT!  Thanks!

        • Re: Seeking records & pictures of Redfern "Buster" Ragadale
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information i found by doing an Ancestry search. Please copy and paste into your web browser. I see you have been here leaving virtual flowers. However not sure if you have seen pics. The state of Georgia Veterans Office is also issuing cerificate of appreciation for service. Please follow this link as well.







          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider


          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records & pictures of Redfern "Buster" Ragadale
            Shannon Kerner Adventurer

            Dear Ms. Koscheski,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his OMPF. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, the NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!