2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2020 10:49 AM by Michael J. Hancock

    Seeking military records for Dorothy Mae Westfall


      I am seeking military records for Dorothy Mae Westfall, a WWII military nurse.  Her brother, Coy Westfall, Jr. was killed in an air raid in Europe.  The information is needed to complete plans for a commemorative plaque for these siblings.

        • Re: Seeking military records for Dorothy Mae Westfall
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Not sure what your time frame is like. However, the NPRC in St. Louis were you would request the individuals service records from are only processing emergency requests for burials.


          The other suggestion I would think about is going to or contacting the state veterans service office and see if they have a copy of Dorthy M. Westfall discharge papers there. May also want to look at the local county clerk of courts were she lived, sometimes they were recorded at the county level.


          Found information on Coy Jr. please see below. additionally I would request Coy Jr. his IDPFs when NPRC is back in business. According to the record he was issued the AM /w 3 oak clusters, he may have also been issued the purple heart but it is not listed. They also listed his casualty as an FOD which is one of two thing Foreign Object Damage, or Finding of Death.


          Lastly, Found Coy Jr Crew MACR for 1944 please see below it details how he was killed.


          Service #15337761
          Unit766th Bomber Squadron, 461st Bomber Group, Heavy
          RankStaff Sergeant U.S. Army Air Forces
          Entered Service FromWest Virginia
          Date of DeathJuly 25 1944














          Ardennes American Cemetery



          Ardennes American Cemetery
          164, route du Condroz





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking military records for Dorothy Mae Westfall
            Michael J. Hancock Wayfarer

            Dear Ms. Underwood,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete two GSA Standard Form 180s and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the forms to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!