2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2020 11:41 AM by Jason Atkinson

    How can I access my Manzanar records?


      I’d like a record of the years I was incarcerated at Manzanar Internment Camp.

        • Re: How can I access my Manzanar records?

          Hi Sally,


          Thank you for posting to the History Hub.


          You may wish to search the following web site. There is a lot of information on Japanese interment.





          • Re: How can I access my Manzanar records?
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Ms. Kihara,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located Final Accountability Rosters of Evacuees, 1944 - 1946 in the Records of the War Relocation Authority (WRA) (Record Group 210) that includes a digitized file for Manzanar, November 1945 (California). Image 96 of the flie has a listing for “Kihara, Harumi Sally.” Please browse the file for other names of interest, or let us know which name to search for and we will assist you with finding it.


            We also search Records About Japanese Americans Relocated During World War II, documenting the period 1942 - 1946 that is available online through Access to Archival Databases and located an entry for Kihara, Harumi S at Manzanar which may be a match for you. For instructions on using this database, please review Search the Database of Japanese American Evacuees (Record Group 210).


            There should be a WRA evacuee case file for you. To protect your personal privacy, these case files are not available online. To request your case file, download the evacuee case file request form available at WRA Evacuee Case Files and mail the completed form to the address listed at the bottom of the form. If the AAD entry we located is for you, you may wish to print out the information and attach it to your request form.


            If you have additional questions about WRA records, please contact RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.


            You may also be interested in the Central Photographic File of the War Relocation Authority, 1942 - 1945 in the Records of the War Relocation Authority (Record Group 210) that contains many photographs of Manzanar which have been digitized and uploaded to the Catalog. Regrettably, technical difficulties are preventing some of the images from being displayed when you click on them, however even when the image is not displaying in the Catalog, you still may reach the image on our server.  Please follow these instructions for each image:

            1. Right click on the download button

            2.  Select Copy Link Address

            In the this example, the url is https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/536001/content/arcmedia/media/images/20/15/20-1461M.jpg

            3.  Paste this url in a new tab

            4.  Before clicking Return,  delete the jpg at the end of the url and replace it with TIF [it must be in all caps]

            In this example - https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/536001/content/arcmedia/media/images/20/15/20-1461M.TIF

            5.  Click Return and the image should begin downloading


            In regards to researching a member of the US Air Force from the 1960s, if you are looking for a specific person and you know his/her full name, we suggest that you request a copy of his/her  Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and prior to May 1, 1994 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information request by the form that you do not know, you may leave the space blank or provide estimates, however, the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended non-emergency reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. This applies to both requests for WRA case files and requests for OMPFs. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            Unit records may be in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.


            If you are looking for the current whereabouts of about veterans of the unit, the National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp). If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you. You may also wish to contact veteran organizations and online communities for veterans.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!