3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2020 5:47 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking records of Pfc Raymond McNamara


      I am looking for information on an uncle, Pfc. Raymond McNamara, who was killed in action in the Korean War. He was awarded the Silver Star.

        • Re: Seeking records of Pfc Raymond McNamara
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information.



          Headquarters, 25th Infantry Division, General Orders No. 555 (1951)


          (Citation Needed) - SYNOPSIS: The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Private First Class Raymond J. McNamara (ASN: RA-11200955), United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving with the 27th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, in action against the enemy in Korea on or about 6 June 1951. His gallant actions and dedicated devotion to duty, without regard for his own life, were in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army.


          You can request copy of this under HQ 25th DIV GO# 555 1951. I believe through Archives2reference@nara.gov





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking records of Pfc Raymond McNamara
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Mr. Lawlor,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


            We also suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!