2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2021 4:10 PM by David Grob

    Seeking citation for my father's Army Distinguished Service Medal


      I am writing in reference to my Father and a medal he has showing on his DD-214 that I can find no information.  The medal is the Army Distinguished Service Medal, which is very rare (I found out) for an enlisted man to receive.  I checked all the paperwork I got from my Mother, also checked the military records at NPRC in St Louis.  I got back a reply from them that his records were destroyed in the fire of 1973.  The  US Army Center of Military History suggested the citation may be published in the General Orders of the unit that awarded him this medal.  He was 1stSGT Contant J Toffolo, Jr, 101st  Airborne Division, 327th Glider Infantry Regiment.  I did some research on the General Orders issued by the War Department from 1941-1947 and the closest book to me is up in Chapel Hill, NC on the UNC campus.  Does anybody have any idea how I can research the award without driving 450 miles one way?  Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.


        • Re: Seeking citation for my father's Army Distinguished Service Medal
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Mr. Toffolo,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that  include the general orders of the 101st Airborne Division and its subordinate units. Also, according to the Center of Military History, the 101st Airborne Division was initially assigned to the First Army, and was then assigned to the First Allied Airborne Army. We located Awards Files, ca. 1942 - ca. 1945 of the First Army in Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) and Decimal Files, 1944 - 1945 of the First Allied Airborne Army in the Records of Allied Operational and Occupation Headquarters, World War II (Record Group 331) that includes the file 1945: 200.6 Awards, Decorations. The general order awarding your father the Distinguished Service Medal may be filed in one of these series, depending on which organization issued it. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking citation for my father's Army Distinguished Service Medal
            David Grob Wayfarer

            Mr. Toffolo,


            In case you are still looking for the award information, it is for a Bronze Star Medal and the General Orders information is (GO#107,1945,101AbnDiv).