2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2020 2:37 PM by Cara Jensen

    How do I find my grandmother's naturalization paperwork?

    Shirley McAfee Wayfarer

      I am attempting to apply for dual citizenship from the country of my family's origin, Calitri, Italy, province of Avellino.  My grandmother and grandfather plus several of my uncles and aunt were all born there.  My grandmother's name was Francesco Margotta.  She was born April 16, 1876 and came to the US on a ship in 1904.  My grandfather was Joseph Cestone and came to the US in 1902.  My grandfather never became a US citizen as he died at 50 from pneumonia.  I am told my grandmother became a US citizen when she was in her 70s in Danbury, CT.  Can you be so kind as to give me a hand please and thank you?


        • Re: How do I find my grandmother's naturalization paperwork?
          Alice Lane Ranger

          Hi Shirley,

          Welcome to History Hub.

          Found this Family tree by tricia6961 and 21 other trees on Ancestry.com https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/24303145/person/1771818809/story

          Maria Francesca Margotta Chesto was born on April 13, 1876

          Giuseppe (Joseph) Cestone (Chesto) was born on May 28, 1872

          I tried to find a naturalization document on ancestry for your grandmother but did not have any luck. You can also try familysearch.org it is a free site but you need to create a login and password.

          This link takes you to how to find the naturalization records that you seek...https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/hg/naturalization/ct#:~:text=Beginning%20in%201906%2C%20Connecticut%20naturalizatio…

          Best Wishes,

          Alice Lane

          Research Volunteer

          • Re: How do I find my grandmother's naturalization paperwork?
            Cara Jensen Tracker

            Dear Ms. McAfee,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Beginning on September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts. If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the custody of the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located. Unfortunately, no central index exists. To ensure a successful request with your request, please include the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.

            In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created from September 27, 1906 to March 31, 1956 within Certificate Files (C-Files). Beginning April 1, 1956, INS began filing all naturalization records in a subject’s Alien File (A-File). C-Files and certain A-Files can be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

            The Embassy of Italy in Washington, D.C., has advised the USCIS that applicants for dual citizenship are not required to provide certified copies of naturalization certificates obtained from USCIS.  Instead, you must present the photocopy of the naturalization certificate along with the USCIS Genealogy Program response letter and mailing envelope.

            We hope this is helpful.